California Trade Justice Coalition
Policy & Advocacy Intern
The California Trade Justice Coalition (CTJC) seeks a motivated Policy & Advocacy Intern to help us defeat Trump’s flawed North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) and get the word out about our efforts to build a strong California economy that works for all. We’re a growing cross-sector coalition bringing together labor, environment, human rights, and social justice leaders to fight NAFTA and other bad trade deals, while advancing a trade justice agenda. This internship is a great opportunity to gain experience at a respected nonprofit, network with experienced activists, and hone your policy advocacy skills to make a difference. We seek someone with good people skills, excellent communications, and ideally, social media savvy. A background in community outreach or issue organizing is also extremely helpful.
This position is out of the East Bay, but some remote work by arrangement is also an option. This internship includes a travel and accommodations stipend, requires 10-12 hours/week (with flexible hours), and a minimum 3-month commitment. This position is supervised by the Coalition Director.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Promote coalition activities, campaigns, and events and through our website, Facebook, Twitter, and other online multimedia channels
- Help communicate policy priorities to legislative offices, coalition partners, and allies
- Draft newsletter content, social media posts, and outreach e-mails about our work
- Capture photos/video at events and gatherings, and upload these to social media sites
- Assist with additional administrative, data entry, and outreach tasks as needed
- Quick learner, comfortable taking responsibility for tasks with minimal supervision
- Available 10-12 hours/week for a minimum of 3 months
- Intermediate computer skills, including knowledge of GoogleDocs, Microsoft Windows, Word, Excel, and basic content management systems
- Intermediate knowledge of social media sites, especially Facebook and Twitter
- Knowledge of e-mail communications systems a plus, especially Salsa or MailChimp
- Some experience with photography and/or videography preferred
- Responsible, very organized, and detail-oriented
- Good written and verbal communication and people skills, in person and on the phone
- Interested in learning about trade justice, environmental sustainability, and social justice
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter explaining your interest in the position and your availability, along with a resume and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The California Trade Justice Coalition is a fiscally sponsored project of Earth Island Institute, a 501(c)3 non-profit, public interest, membership organization that supports people who are creating solutions to protect our shared planet. Earth Island Institute provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.